This amazing Cry Baby Noodles dish. It was so easy to make and it is now one of my favorite new dishes.
After watching the movie “Hunger” on Netflix, I got super excited and wanted to make the yummy noodles they showed in the film. Guess what? They used my absolute favorite, Lap Cheong, in it! So, being a big fan of good food, I decided to try making it myself.
If you love food and haven’t seen the movie, you should totally check it out now! It’s not just entertaining; it’s also a great inspiration for trying out cool recipes.
The Lap cheong in those noodles looked so tasty that I couldn’t resist giving it a shot. Join me in the kitchen for some fun – let’s bring the deliciousness of “Hunger” to our dinner tables!
Cry Baby Noodles Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup Fish cake or fried tofu puffs
- 1/2 cup diced Lap Cheong (Chinese sausage)
- 1.5 portions Flat rice noodles
- 1/4 cup Dried shrimp
- 2 eggs
- Onion and minced garlic
- Scallions for garnish
Sauce (Cry Baby Noodles):
- 1 tbsp miso paste
- 1 tbsp XO sauce
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1/2 tbsp sugar
- A pinch of salt
How To Make Cry Baby Noodles
Step1: Prepare Noodles
Cook flat rice noodles according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
Step2: Make the Sauce
In a small bowl, mix miso paste, XO sauce, soy sauce, fish sauce, oyster sauce, sugar, and a pinch of salt. Set aside.
Step3: Cook Lap Cheong and Dried Shrimp
In a wok or large pan, sauté diced Lap Cheong and dried shrimp until fragrant.
Step4: Add Fish Cake (or Tofu) and Aromatics:
Add fish cake or fried tofu puffs to the wok. Stir in onions and minced garlic. Cook until everything is lightly browned.
Step5: Scramble Eggs
Push ingredients to one side of the wok and scramble eggs on the empty side until cooked.
Step6: Combine Noodles and Sauce
Add the cooked noodles to the wok. Pour the prepared sauce over the noodles. Toss everything together until well-coated.
Garnish and Serve
Garnish with scallions and serve hot.
Additional Tips for Cry Baby Noodles:
Customize Protein: Feel free to experiment with different proteins. Chicken, shrimp, or even a plant-based protein like tofu can add a delightful twist to your Cry Baby Noodles.
Veggie Boost: Amp up the veggie content by tossing in your favorite vegetables. Bok choy, bell peppers, or snap peas would complement the flavors and add a crunchy texture.
Perfectly Cooked Eggs: For a more visually appealing dish, cook the eggs separately and place them on top of the noodles before serving. This ensures a beautifully cooked, golden layer of eggs.
Serving Suggestion: Pair your Cry Baby Noodles with a refreshing cucumber salad or a side of pickled vegetables. The contrast of flavors will enhance your overall dining experience.
Enjoy making these adjustments to tailor the Cry Baby Noodles to your taste preferences and elevate the dish with additional textures and flavors!
Serving Ideas for Cry Baby Noodles:
Asian-Inspired Bowl: Serve your Cry Baby Noodles in a traditional Asian bowl with chopsticks for an authentic dining experience. Garnish with extra scallions and a sprinkle of sesame seeds for a finishing touch.
Spicy Peanut Twist: Drizzle a spicy peanut sauce over your Cry Baby Noodles for an extra kick. Top with crushed peanuts and a squeeze of lime to add a delightful blend of flavors to your dish.
Fresh Herb Infusion: Enhance the freshness by serving the noodles with a side of fresh herbs like cilantro, Thai basil, or mint. Allow diners to customize their bowls with these aromatic herbs.
Protein Powerhouse: Boost the protein content by pairing Cry Baby Noodles with a side of grilled or skewered meat, such as chicken satay or shrimp skewers. This adds a protein-packed element to your meal.
Crunchy Texture: Add a crunch factor by serving the noodles with a side of crispy wonton strips or prawn crackers. Sprinkle these over the noodles just before serving for a satisfying crunch with every bite.
These serving ideas provide a variety of ways to enjoy your Cry Baby Noodles, catering to different preferences and creating a dynamic and flavorful dining experience.
What are Cry Baby Noodles?
- Cry Baby Noodles are a type of spicy Asian-inspired noodle dish, celebrated for their bold and fiery flavor profile. These noodles are characterized by the harmonious combination of stir-fried vegetables, flavorful sauce, and, of course, the satisfying base of noodles. The dish delivers a unique and mouthwatering culinary experience, offering a perfect balance of heat and savory goodness.
How spicy are Cry Baby Noodles?
- Cry Baby Noodles have a moderate level of spiciness, offering a flavorful and satisfying kick. Adjust the heat to your liking by modifying the quantity of spicy ingredients in the sauce.
Can I customize the protein in Cry Baby Noodles?
- Absolutely! You can experiment with different proteins like chicken, shrimp, or tofu to suit your taste preferences.
Are there vegetarian options for Cry Baby Noodles?
- Yes, you can opt for vegetarian versions by omitting meat-based ingredients and focusing on vegetables and tofu for a delightful meat-free alternative.
How do I make the eggs perfectly cooked in Cry Baby Noodles?
- For visually appealing eggs, cook them separately and place them on top of the noodles before serving to achieve a beautifully golden layer.
Can I add extra vegetables to Cry Baby Noodles?
- Certainly! Amp up the veggie content by adding your favorite vegetables like bok choy, bell peppers, or snap peas to enhance both flavor and texture.
What are some serving ideas for Cry Baby Noodles?
- Enhance your dining experience by serving Cry Baby Noodles in an Asian-inspired bowl, with a spicy peanut twist, fresh herb infusion, as a protein powerhouse, or with a side of crispy wonton strips for added crunch.
Cry Baby NoodlesCourse: MainCuisine: AsianDifficulty: Easy
Enjoy your homemade Cry Baby Noodles, bursting with flavors and textures! Adjust ingredients according to your taste preferences for the perfect dish.
1/2 cup Fish cake or fried tofu puffs
1/2 cup diced Lap Cheong (Chinese sausage)
1.5 portions Flat rice noodles
1/4 cup Dried shrimps
Onion and minced garlic
Scallions for garnish
- Mix for sauce (crybaby noodles):
1 tbsp miso paste
1 tbsp XO sauce
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp fish sauce
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1/2 tbsp sugar
A little bit of salt
- Prepare Noodles: Cook flat rice noodles according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Make the Sauce: In a small bowl, mix miso paste, XO sauce, soy sauce, fish sauce, oyster sauce, sugar, and a pinch of salt. Set aside.
- Cook Lap Cheong and Dried Shrimps: In a wok or large pan, sauté diced Lap Cheong and dried shrimps until fragrant.
- Add Fish Cake (or Tofu) and Aromatics: Add fish cake or fried tofu puffs to the wok. Stir in onions and minced garlic. Cook until everything is lightly browned.
- Scramble Eggs: Push ingredients to one side of the wok and scramble eggs on the empty side until cooked.
- Combine Noodles and Sauce: Add the cooked noodles to the wok. Pour the prepared sauce over the noodles. Toss everything together until well-coated.
- Garnish and Serve: Garnish with scallions and serve hot.